Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Turn

North Carolina didn't work out. This is disappointing, but not tragic. Like any job, it had its pros and cons, and in this case they were fairly evenly matched. What's more, this job application process in particular has helped me to understand and articulate what I want to do with my career, so there's gain there.

The classically scripted ending to the bike ride doesn't appear imminent. The limbo is still intact. And the ride so far has taught me something about loving the uncertain, unknown and unexpected.

So at Warrensburg, Missouri I decidedly turn south to Austin. While Austin has many cool offerings, three advantages make it stand out far and above North Carolina. They are named Leah, Lincoln and Peter. Lincoln called me, and in his 3-year old voice, asked if I would come stay with them and told me to "work a little harder so I get there faster." Leah told me she would ride fifty miles with me, on her tricycle.

As for the route, I'll be trading the Smokies and waterfalls for the Ozarks and hot springs. Not bad. Either way, I get unintelligible accents and toothless ruralness, so no loss there. I'll trade the Carolina farm country and bluegrass for Austin's hills and endless music. Kayaking for rock climbing. With the wonder of nieces and nephews, together with with my loving sister Michele and brother-in-law Andrew, the balance is stoutly in Austin's favor. I guess I am getting a little more certainty than I let on. There's some beauty in that as well.

.

No comments: