Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Blue River Valley

5 October 2008

The first persistent headwind of the trip, along with heavy rains, dampened my ride into Silverthorne. From there, a bike path takes you under I-70 and switchbacks up the dam to Dillon Reservoir, then meandering easily into Frisco. I was racing to get to conference, so of course I got lost in the neighborhood, before scrambling in, soaked and looking homeless, for the last few minutes of the afternoon session. I put up at Frisco Lodge, made the evening session and then returned and slept well for the morrow.

After the Sunday morning speakers. Rich and Vicki invited me for lunch, with several of their children and a pack of grandchildren, including Sterling, Maisy, Rhett, Packer, Scout, Jazzy and Landon. (I think I'm forgetting one.) We celebrated Maisy's fourth birthday. She wore a dress of vivid yellow, pinks and purples, seemed to have a personality to match, and managed to be simultaneously shy and beaming as we sang. Balloons would occasionally pop, making toddlers cry and adults laugh. 

These are only a fraction of Rich and Vicki's children and grandchildren. They moved to Frisco from Idaho some thirty years earlier. Rich began as a roughneck, before moving into carpentry and then welding, before starting his own welding business, creating mostly beams and steel structure. He has silvery, prophetic eyes, a barrel chest, a formidable grip and the gentle demeanor that comes from having great strength and knowing how to use it. A countenance that comes from having labored an ease for himself and his family.

After the afternoon speakers, Riley and Sarah offered for me to stay at a house they take care of at the base of Hoosier Pass. I rode along the Blue River from Frisco to Breckenridge to the town of Blue River. As it was getting late and even dark for part of the ride, I was preoccupied with finding the house, and unwittingly took care of most of the climb toward Hoosier Pass. After getting into the right neighborhood, and a couple hours of slogging through poorly marked streets of snow and mud, I finally got into lodge, pretty nice digs for a bike trekker and a perfect place to rest for the coming day. 


No comments: