Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Rock at Starvation

26 September 2008

Last night I stayed with Anna, her husband Nate, and their daughter Maya Pearl. After an oatmeal breakfast, as Pearl slept, Anna joined me for the first miles of the ride east from Heber. We split ways and I continued up to Daniel's Summit, a climb much more accomodating than Guardsman Pass. This ridge divides the Great Basin from the Upper Colorado watershed, and upon cresting, the narrower valley of Daniel's Creek, with autumn quakies tinged orange, gave way to the sweeping wide and gentle Strawberry River valley. A roadside vendor supplied me with elk and venison jerky.

The Strawberry joined with the Duchesne, and I (mostly) descended to Starvation Reservoir. Climbed the last couple miles, past pockets of farmland, to Indian Bay. The sun set in amber hues and silhouetted ridges. Bathed lightly in Starvation's refreshing water, ate some greens and scrambled around on the sand and the sandstone boulders. Made my bed on a broad, flat rock, perpendicular to the Milky Way's perfectly prominent arc. Saw three shooting stars before dozing in the breezy night.

.

1 comment:

mkt said...

Sweet! I was hoping you'd do something like this so I could more fully experience your trip with you :)